Heart failure is the inability of the heart muscle to normally propel blood through the body. It can occur in the evolution of myocardial infarction, angina, high blood pressure… Its frequency increases with age.(1)
- The heart of a patient with heart failure has lost muscle strength and normal contraction capacity; it no longer pumps enough blood to allow the organs to receive enough oxygen and nutrients, essential to their proper functioning (1).
- In France, heart failure affects 2.3% of the French adult population, or approximately 1,130,000 people (1).
- Heart failure is a major cause of death in France regardless of age. It was directly or indirectly responsible for more than 70 000 deaths (1).
- There are several possible causes for heart failure:
- Ischemic heart diseases (myocardial infarction, angina…), which create irreversible damage to part of the heart muscle
- High blood pressure, which causes the heart muscle to thicken to fight against high blood pressure
- Heart rhythm disorders, atrial fibrillation, heart valve diseases (1) …